30 years of corrosion and rust meant that the brake hubs needed to be sand blasted and re-finished. I kept the bearing surfaces covered during the process and they turned out great. The brake disks on my Esprit were virtually brand new (almost the maximum disk width) but I didn't want to put the old rusted units back on a fully restored car. The brake disks and wheel hub bearings were cheap and available in the United States, which saved me a little money.
I also needed to replace the bolts that hold the brake disk to the wheel hub, so I picked those up at a local store that sells grade 10.9 metric fasteners. I opted for hex bolts instead of socket screws as the sockets stripped easily when removing the old ones.
The freshly powder coated hub, ready for wheel bearings.
The wheel bearings and the dust seal come as one kit and are one of the few parts
for the S1 Esprit available in the United States.
I used Mobil One bearing grease to pack the bearings. Anti-seaze was used
on the bolts so they don't freeze up due to exposure to the elements and the
constant heat cycles.
The finished front hub and brake disk, ready to mount. Job done!
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Rebuilding the Front Hubs, Replacing the Wheel Bearings
Posted by Renn Ortenburger at 11:17 PM
Labels: lotus esprit brake disk, lotus esprit brake rotor, lotus esprit hubs, lotus esprit wheel bearings
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Nice to find this blog. You've done great work. I can't wait to see additional posts. I am in the process of a frame off restoration of my own S1. My chassis and suspension components have all been powder coated with anthrocite powder (a cross between gray and silver I guess). The steering rack is rebuilt and the tranny has been rebuilt. I also have new Wilwood brakes and a rear suspension modification adding an upper link (a modification provided by Lotus Prepared by Claudius in Cerritos CA). I replaced the cooling pipes with stainless steel (my pipes looked worse than yours). New shocks (the price of those were "shocking"). I still need to powder coat my new springs. My old springs sagged too much. I got "new" ones off a doner S1. Got my Wolfrace rims polished. The lug nuts and washers are out getting rechromed right now. New hub caps will cost a pretty penny because they need to be made from scratch. Next I will be working on the engine. Wish me luck!ReplyDelete
Thank you for the feedback and it's great to see that another S1 is going to be restored back from the dead. It seems like you have turned the corner and are starting to work with the new bits, which is great. This was the best part for me as I grew tired of tearing the entire car down only to reveal more problems to tackle later on. Restorations are definitely a test of patience!ReplyDelete